2022 Police Video: Active Killer Response
2023 Police Video: Active Killer Response
Download the general guidelines for responding to an active killer situation directed towards University of Pittsburgh students, staff and faculty.
When faced with an active killer, evaluate the situation and:
- RUN if a safe path is available. Always try and escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying.
- Encourage others to leave with you but don’t let the indecision of others slow down your own effort to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from walking into the danger zone and call 412-624-2121 or 9-1-1.
- If you can’t get out safely, find a place to HIDE.
- When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors and silence your ringer and vibration mode on your cell phone
- As a last resort, working together or alone, act with aggression; use improvised weapons and FIGHT.
When Law Enforcement arrives on the scene:
- Remain calm and follow officers’ instructions.
- Immediately raise hands and spread fingers.
- Keep hands visible at all times.
- Avoid making quick movements towards officers such as attempting to hold on to them for safety.
- Avoid pointing, screaming and/or yelling.
Pitt Police officers present active threat response training to students, staff, and faculty upon request. To schedule a training, call 412-624-4040 or email Sgt. Paul Burgh at email@example.com.