We post announcements and notifications of major criminal activity on the Pittsburgh campus and surrounding areas. These postings remain on our site for 30 days before they are taken down.
Crime and Fire Log
The University of Pittsburgh Police publishes a crime and fire log every business day. This log contains a summary of all criminal and actual fire reports generated during the previous 24-hour period or weekend.
In addition, per Commonwealth and federal requirements, a media book containing a log of incidents reported in the most recent 60 days is available for review at the Public Safety Building (3412 Forbes Avenue) during normal business hours (8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.). Log entry information dated prior to the last 60 days will be available for inspection within two business days upon request and is maintained for seven years. Note that all log information is documented and titled according to information received at the time of the incident.
Crime Prevention Tips
From time to time, it can be beneficial to familiarize yourself with some basic guidelines that may help prevent a crime before it even happens. Here are some crime prevention tips that may just help you avoid a potentially dangerous situation:
- Report suspicious persons and crime incidents promptly.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, trust your instincts, and go to a public place.
- Lock windows and doors.
- When traveling at night, walk with friends.
- Avoid using devices that impair your hearing or sight while walking.
- Do not approach suspicious persons or vehicles.
- Use the University Shuttle Service when possible (SAFERIDER 412-648-2255).