The University of Pittsburgh Police Department is again teaming up with the Pitt Student Office of Sustainability, Pitt EcoReps, Pitt Surplus, and Pitt Pantry to eliminate waste by collecting food and goods from students moving out for the summer.
Bins for the Pitt Police-managed Most Wanted Food Drive and Pitt Student Office of Sustainability's Clutter for a Cause will be visible throughout campus to handle donations from April 26th-30th.
For the Most Wanted Food Drive, organizers are looking for canned goods, other non-perishable items, and unused/unopened personal hygiene products. Please do not donate opened or expired items.
Clutter for a Cause organizers are accepting the following:
- Textiles: Clothing, accessories, shoes, towels, duvet covers, blankets, curtains, bedding.
- Kitchen items: Mini refrigerators (dry and free of food), microwaves, rice cookers, coffee pots or Keurig makers, and small kitchenware items, such as plates, cups and utensils.
- Reading material: Books and textbooks
- Dormitory and apartment essentials: Mirrors, lamps, organizational items (dry-erase boards, plastic bins, clothing organizers and laundry baskets)
- Electronics: TVs, computers, computer monitors, printers, keyboards, computer mice, cables, phones and cameras.
All items must be clean and dry. Organizers said they will be unable to accept certain items due to health and safety concerns. They include: foam mattress toppers, mattresses, pillows, upholstered furniture (futons and couches), and rugs. Food drive donations go toward the CHS Food Pantry in Oakland and the Pitt Pantry.
Donation Locations and Times
Donations are accepted at any time at unstaffed locations in residence halls, and during open hours at the following staffed locations:
- Schenley Quad (between Amos Hall and McCormick Hall)
- Litchfield Towers Lobby (across from Panther Central)
- Sutherland Hall parking lot (next to the rear entrance to Sutherland Hall)
- Bouquet Gardens Pop-Up (in the Sennott Square Parking Lot at Sennott St. and Oakland Ave.)
- Friday, April 28 from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m
- Open to Pitt and Oakland community members
Staffed Station Open Hours
- Wednesday, April 26 – Noon until 6 p.m.
- Thursday, April 27 – 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Friday, April 28 – 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Saturday, April 29 – 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- Sunday, April 30 - 9 a.m. until Noon
Donate accepted items at any time Wednesday, April 26 until Sunday, April 30 at unstaffed locations available to residents of these residence halls only:
- Lothrop Hall – Ground Floor Lobby
- Ruskin Hall – Ground Floor Lounge
- Nordenberg Hall – Lobby
- Panther Hall – Lobby
- Irvis Hall - Lobby
- Forbes Hall - Lounge